Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday ~


Easter is just two days away and on this Good Friday I look outside my office window to see the snow falling...yes, snow on April 10th. Evidently, this is spring in Nevada.

In my last post I wrote about the possibility of my mother also having Celiac Disease but I don't have an update for you yet - she's still awaiting test results. We are all curious, though I think she's a bit afraid to call the Dr.'s office to find out! We understand.

I wanted to share with you my two gluten-free foodie experiences that I had this week here in Reno:

On Tuesday afternoon I stopped by the local Great Harvest Bread Company in the Plumbgate Shopping center to see if the rumors of gluten-free fresh-baked bread on Monday's and Tuesday's was true - it is! I picked up a delicious loaf of cinnamon-raisin bread that is actually quite tasty and light. They also bake plain white bread and pumpkin bread on Monday's and made-to-order items. If you live in the Reno area, it would be worth a try. It just felt special to walk into a bread company and request a loaf of bread from the rack and then walk out feeling quite "normal"...I know it's only bread, but it's also progress!

Another tasty experience happened yesterday while dining at Beaujolais Bistro with a client. I had the pleasure of working on a TV shoot two weeks ago at this Bistro for another client, and at 5 a.m. Chef/owner Bill Gilbert had prepared an amazing rabbit confit that we were all enjoying, along with some wine for breakfast! I had never dined on rabbit before, mostly due to my affection for the little creatures, but after a 3 a.m. wake up call, the savory, buttery aroma won me over and I dug in for my first bite of authentically prepared rabbit with amazing beans imported from France, sprinkled with hazelnuts...my mouth is watering just recounting and writing this...and yes, it was all gluten-free.


Yesterday's lunch was just as lovely. I ordered the scrumptious Omelette (Organic eggs) with mushrooms and Gruyére, served with a perfect organic salad, drizzled with an amazing vinaigrette. The flavors of this meal were bursting in my mouth and in all honesty, conjured up memories of dining in Paris and France. The freshness of every ingredient is hard to find in this city or in the majority of restaurants, in general. The care and understanding of real French cuisine is defined at Beaujolais Bistro and by Chef Bill.

In addition, the majority of their daily soups are gluten-free and thickened with a light cream, vs. a heavy flour base. Be sure to ask your server but each time I've visited now, I've reviewed the menu with both the Chef and server to discuss what is and isn't safe for a Celiac, and they are very helpful and careful.

It's still snowing and gloomy outside but on this particular day, Good Friday, it seems appropriate. However, by Easter Sunday we should be experiencing temperatures in the high 60's and lots of sunshine ~ just in time to celebrate Life!

Happy Easter and don't eat too many chocolate bunnies!

Cheers ~

No comments: