Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Place of Inspiration ~


The past couple of weekends I was luckily enough to spend time in one of my favorite locations on the planet, Sun Valley, Idaho. There's something truly magical and spiritual about the Big Wood River Valley, the beauty of Mt. Baldy and the way the sun sets behind the Sawtooth Mountains.

I had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Sun Valley Writer's Conference since last year, and though I wasn't able to attend the entire weekend program (who knew this was so hugely popular!), attending the individual seminars and lectures was easy as pie...gluten-free, of course! This year's theme was Frontiers in a Changing World, and I was lucky enough to hear five amazing authors speak, including Kati Marton, Ian Buruma and the charmingly funny Frank McCourt, just to name a few.


Being the aspiring writer that I am, I was truly in awe of these great storytellers and their gifts of putting life onto a page with some ink and creative thought. Listening to their insightful world-views and ability to discuss such a vast variety of topics reminded me that life is a journey, and boy do I need to make sure I learn something new each and every day I'm able to take it in. Not only were the authors words so alive and genuine, but they were supported by the magic of the venue, Sun Valley!


Throughout the weekend there was delicious food to be found and eaten, as well. The town of Ketchum, just one mile from the Sun Valley Resort, is so delightful and charming and warm and happy and...oh, I could go on an on. I am SO at peace in that place, I cannot begin to describe the blanket of warmth I receive when my feet are planted in that town. I'm digressing... there were quite a few great restaurants I visited that not only prepared my gluten- free dishes correctly, but staff totally GETS IT! They understand eating and living gluten-free in this little place on the map of the world...so for any of you Celiacs out there who find themselves in this part of Idaho, feel safe to indulge your taste buds at the following little haunts and enjoy:

~ Desperados Mexican Cantina - YUMMY!

~ Vintage - A charmingly cozy new bistro inside a historic Ketchum cabin

~ Ketchum Grill - A favorite of mine

~ China Panda - Obviously - Chinese food

~ Baci - A great Italian Cafe and Wine Bar

I am already looking forward to next year's conference and to the endless possibilities that await me between now and next August 2009. Between now and then, I intend to do a lot of reading and writing on this blog and hope that in the next twelve months the Celiac world will also be the beneficiary of some exciting and earth-shaking discoveries in research and a good, moist chocolate cake!!

Be well.

No comments: