Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fruit Smoothie to the Rescue ~


As you might know, I've been reeling from gluten poisoning that happened to me 3 + weeks ago, and boy did it knock the wind right out of my sails. Once I progressed beyond organic baby food, I have been in serious need of some protein, calorie-rich foods that I could basically...well, drink! My stomach is still not fond of "real food" yet, especially veggies and any kind of meat or denser protein...but a girl's got to eat!

I came up with this terrific smoothie recipe two weeks ago and have been blending away every single morning and with good results. I'm convinced that I cannot be the only Celiac who suffers this intensely when poisoned, and knowing that our bodies are already lacking in some essential vitamins and minerals, I felt strongly compelled to share my GF hangover smoothie recipe and hope that it will come in handy for any of you, God-forbid, if you mistakenly encounter gluten in one of your meals.

GF Fruit-Protein Smoothie:
- 1/2 Organic banana

- 1/2 Cup of your favorite fruit juice (I used and Odwalla power juice/blend)

- 1/2 Cup of Almond milk

- 1 Cup of Brown Cow vanilla yogurt

- 1 Tbsp. Organic peanut butter

- 1 Tbsp. Ground Golden Flax

- 1 Cup of organic blueberries

- 1 Sliced nectarine OR 5 organic strawberries (or any fruit you like - I mix it up)

- 1 Tsp. of Flax oil

Blend together in mixer on "liquefy" or "high" for two minutes, pour into your favorite mug or glass and voila! Breakfast or a delicious snack is served.

If you have other "hangover" recipes or ideas to share that you prepare and are able to eat when suffering through this situation, please write to me and share them.

2 comments:

Amy Green said...

Hi Amy! Sorry it's taking you so long to get back on your feet but I'm glad you're on the upswing. Your smoothie looks wonderful. :)

I moved...

www.SimplySugarAndGlutenFree.com

Sunny said...

Ugh I'm so terrified of accidentally having Gluten without knowing it :S

looks yummmmmmy!!!!!!!