Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dressing Up My All-Clad ~


This All-Clad Stainless Steel saute/simmer pan was my Christmas present, as previously mentioned on this blog. But for me, this gift was just waiting for the right moment or recipe to be put to use. For almost two months it sat in my cupboard, all wrapped up and shiny - almost a bit intimidating, to be honest. But alas, during my sick week at home (last week) when I was making soups and chopping up lots of fresh food I decided that it was time to baptise the All-Clad in fire and put this saute pan to use!

With that said, I didn't really have a particular recipe in mind but intuitively speaking, I saw a dish that was centered around chicken and yummy flavors. So, as I rummaged through my fridge the idea came to me - a Mediterranean-type chicken saute with olives...I think the Greek Gods were somehow inspiring this one.


It dawned on me, while throwing this recipe together that cooking really healthy, quality, good food for yourself or your family every day doesn't have to be complicated or super expensive, especially if you are budgeting a house full of Celiacs or gluten-free eaters. Real food, spices and herbs come loaded with all you need for flavor and nutrients - God sure planned this out well. And the more pure and less complicated the ingredients, the healthier and more flavorful the dish.

It's days like this one, while working in the kitchen and cooking with lots of veggies, is when I really wish to have my own garden to pull from...and then I start to envision how I could create one and where it might work best in my yard? Hmmmmm

With spring around the corner I could get inspired.

This recipe can be easily modified with your own favorites, but here goes mine:

Mediterranean Chicken Saute

Serves 4

- 4 Skinned, organic large chicken breasts, halved

- 1 8 0z. can of Mediterranean artichoke hearts, halved and not drained (Trader Joe's has great ones from Spain that I use)

- 1 Pint of Mediterranean olives (great mix at Whole Foods with Herbs de Provence and balsamic vinegar)

- 4 Medium, ripe Heirloom tomatoes, quartered (any color you like)

- 1 Medium yellow onion, chopped

- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic

- 3 Tbs. Olive oil

- 1/4 Cup of dry red wine

- 1/2 Cup of gluten-free chicken or veggie broth

- 1/2 Fresh lemon (to squeeze in dish while cooking)

- Salt and pepper to taste

- Dash of organic garlic salt

First, let halved chicken breasts sit out in a bowl on your counter for 15 minutes, while marinating with olive oil, and fresh lemon and rosemary. (The chicken breasts don't work if they are too cold). Begin by sauteing in pan with olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic until all are tender and light gold in color. Then slowly add broth, wine, and chicken halves. Let cook on med-high for about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to med-simmer and add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and remainder of liquid from artichoke halves. Add garlic salt and salt and pepper to taste...let all simmer for 20 + minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through and tender. Finish by squeezing your halved lemon all around the dish.

Serve with toasted, gluten-free bread and a nice glass of wine and Voila...dinner is served.



If you have a favorite recipe that you love to cook in your All-Clad or any clad for that matter, please share them with all of us.

Eat well and enjoy real food ~

Stay posted - next week we have a special guest blogger from the Gluten-free world!

No comments: