Saturday, January 16, 2010

Simply Yummmmm~


A post-holiday crazy, busy week inspired this yummy and simple breakfast-for-dinner idea that I thought you might like to cook in your kitchen.

Growing up in my family, there were times when we would have breakfast for dinner - the occasional omelette or pancakes were always a big hit with my brother and me and still to this day, I love whipping up scrambled eggs as an entree! With that in mind, I've been revisiting my childhood love (totally inspired by my mother)of poached eggs on toast...or in this case, a softly fried eggs on toast. Paired with some delicious cheese, and fresh tomatoes with a fig balsamic, you've got yourself one tasty and nutritious meal that can be created in ten minutes.

I've also been on a fresh herb kick lately. While perusing the Whole Foods produce section the other day, I came across a perfect package of fresh sage, thyme and rosemary and have been throwing them in with just about everything I've eaten. I'm always amazed at what a fresh herb will do to your food - with nothing more than some olive oil and sea salt to accompany, food comes to life under the profound influence of an herb.

Isn't that wonderful?

And when I cook this way, it's a distinct reminder about the essence and importance of eating real food and why we do not need to alter everything, process it with junk and throw it in a box to be eaten via microwave. Blahhh - I'm getting the chills just thinking about that process, all the while, the poor food screaming out, "we taste great just as we are, just as nature intended...honest!"


So, to keep your food from screaming out with displeasure...try this simple recipe for lightly fried/poached eggs on toast with rosemary, avocados and delicious little tomatoes.

Serves 2-

- 4 Fresh eggs

- 4 Slices of gluten-free bread (your choice but I like Food for Life's Rice Pecan bread)

- 1 Ripe avocado

- 2 Pats of organic butter

- 2 Tsp. olive oil

- Sprigs of rosemary, thyme and sage (as much as you desire)

- 4 Slices of any delicious Swiss, jack or mozzarella cheese

- 4 Oz. of sliced turkey, gluten-free

- 8 0z. package of mixed medley cherry tomatoes (I love the yellow and orange variety)

- 2 Tbsp. Fig balsamic

- Salt and pepper to taste

First, wash and half the cherry tomatoes and place them in a saute pan with 2 tsp. of olive oil, salt and pepper. Add sprigs of fresh herbs, as much as you like, and saute for 5-7 minutes on med-high, until tomatoes start to soften. Then put bread slices in toaster for your desired amount of toastyness. While toasting, remove tomatoes from burner and place to the side in a separate bowl. Use the same saute pan to lightly fry your eggs - cook with rosemary and until yolks just start to form.

Spread pats of butter onto the toast, then place two on each plate. Layer with fresh cheese slices, turkey and then place fried egg on top (to melt it all together!). Slice fresh avocado on top of the eggs and divide up the sauteed tomatoes onto each plate. Drizzle fig balsamic on tomatoes. Salt and pepper to your liking.

That's it - simple and delicious.

Enjoy your breakfast-for-dinner or whenever really, and keep your food happy!

I would love to hear about what your favorite gluten-free recipes are!
Please pass them along.

No comments: