Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Pot Wonder ~


It is pouring rain here today - a very welcome sight let me tell you, and the kind of day where you would like to curl up with a good book, a cup of tea and let the world go by. And now that it's fall and the days are getting shorter and the night air arrives with a certain crispness, I was inspired this past week to cook up two gluten-free dishes that brought a lot of warmth and nutrition to my tummy!

I cook a lot at my house and I have realized the joy and ease of cooking a healthy meal in one dish or one pot - it's easy and there is so much variety to cooking this way. Usually, all that needs to accompany a one-dish meal is a simple salad with good olive oil, some fig vinegar and a few gluten-free crackers...oh...and a nice glass of wine.

The other night I only had 10 minutes for meal prep between running home from work and racing off to a Pilates class. I had a ton of veggies in my fridge and wanted to use them all up while they were still fresh, so I had the idea to throw them all in my Emile Henry stew pot, add some GF chicken broth, a few other flavorful ingredients, chop everything up and let them simmer away while I was at my class. I wasn't quite sure what I was creating, but it turned out to be really yummy and provided four healthy meals throughout the week. Cooking this way is really economical, as well.



Gluten-free Chicken/Veggie stew-

Ingredients: Serves four (Ten minutes prep time)

- 1 8 Oz. box/container of gluten free chicken broth

- 1/4 Pc. of fresh butter

- 1.5 Tbsp. of organic garlic pepper

- 1/4 Cup of red cooking wine

- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil

- 1/2 Cup of water

- 4 Large, red organic potatoes

- 1/2 Yellow onion (chopped in quarters)

- 3 Green onions (chopped)

- 3 Roma tomatoes (quartered)

- 3 Zucchini (sliced)

- 2 Celery stalks (chopped)

- 1/2 Cup baby carrots (whole)

- 1 Roasted chicken (Pre-cooked and pulled from bones and sliced)

- Grated Parmigiana cheese as topping on stew (to your liking)

I simply chopped up all of my veggies and threw then in the pot, then added the chicken broth, water, wine, olive oil, butter, garlic pepper, salt and pepper (to taste). I made sure that everything was covered with a 1/2 inch of broth knowing it would cook down. I simmered the pot on medium heat for an hour and 20 minutes.

When I returned home the veggies were the perfect texture and simmering with robust taste and flavor. I then added the sliced up, roasted chicken to the pot and allowed to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Voila! Ready to eat.


It was super-simple and delicious - a great meal for a family or to have leftovers to nosh on all week.

Next up - Homemade Shallot-leek cream gluten-free pasta

Eat well!

2 comments:

katie louvat said...

This looks so delicious! Perfect for a rainy day - or just a blustery autumn day like today in south bend!

we need to catch up soon - I think of you often and wonder how you are and what you are up to . . . .

Jamie Stern said...

Good Afternoon,
I found your blog and love your recipes!

I have launched an online store dedicated to providing resources and products to people suffering with Food Allergies, Food Intolerance and those requiring other special diets.

One of those resources is giving my customers some great recipes to try…and in the process, promoting cookbook authors/bloggers. If you would be interested, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
Jamie Stern
Owner, Allergiesandme.com
jstern@allergiesandme.com