Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Birthday Fun for All ~ GF Cake and Pizza


So guess who turned 66 years old and guess which cake is gluten-free?

Well, the gluten-free mini vanilla cake with chocolate ganache frosting was all mine...and as for the big cake with the "66" candles on top...it was in honor of my wonderful father's birthday last weekend, which was celebrated in San Diego with my brother and his family.

Whenever there's a family birthday celebration, I am always so blessed and appreciative of how everyone insists on making sure that I also have some sweet-treat to enjoy after the candles have been blown out and the regular cake cutting begins. Isn't that kind of them?

I think so.

This delicious little treat came, once again, from the Jimbo's Market in Carlsbad. They have a great GF baker on-site and she comes up with some yummy and tempting treats that never disappoint.


But what really touched my heart was how my sister-in-law and brother (and adorable nephew) were so concerned about making sure I could enjoy dessert during my dad's birthday dinner. They really went out of their way to find just the right dessert that was perfectly gluten-free and something that I would enjoy. I've learned through having Celiac Disease how those loved ones in your life truly step up to the plate, always ensuring that I never feel "left out" so to speak, when we are all either eating out or cooking at home. It's a good reminder for me to stop and say "thank you" for my family and friend's true kindness and consideration.

Food is a funny thing. We need it for survival, obviously, but the amount of pleasure and true joy that is derived from eating a deliciously prepared meal is unrivaled. In Europe, especially, the act of "eating" and preparing a meal is like no other and I truly admire the art and thought that goes into the age-old philosophy of cooking food that comes from the earth and is unprocessed and eaten just as God intended. I too, try to prepare most all of my meals in that old-world style, though I realize that from time to time I get seriously caught in a "food rut" and loose my creativity. Unfortunately I'm there now, and in real need of some inspiration and time to let my creative cooking juices flow and hunker back down with organic, fresh produce, homemade soups, and exploring new GF grains, etc.

I'm pretty certain this weekend could be the right opportunity to get back to my "roots" - my vegetable roots, that is and start cooking and feeding my body pure goodness. I've recently discovered that an old friend and I are both on a similar path regarding how we eat, and what we eat, due to our specific diseases. She's an amazing woman and will soon be appearing as a guest blogger on this site - so stay tuned. I know she'll bring along with her words, an abundance of wisdom and a delicious recipe or two, to boot.

Getting back to last weekend's San Diego trip, I also wanted to mention that when my family picked me up from the airport at 9 p.m. (due to an hour 1/2 delayed flight) I was greeted with a hot, fresh gluten-free pizza in a REAL pizza box! I swear just experiencing the joy of opening a "normal" pizza box was all I needed - then I proceeded to eat half of that little 8" round delight on the way to my brother's house. I had no shame nor control as we sped up the I-5!

I do, however, feel a bit guilty about the fact that I was in such euphoria over being presented with my own take-out pizza, I forgot to snap a photo of it for this blog- ooops!

Don't blame me, blame Borrelli's Pizza and Italian Food in Encinitas, CA for my altered state - and the next time your are visiting So. Cal - GO GET ONE for yourself.

Eat well - eat real food!

1 comment:

Amy Green said...

You are so fortunate to have people that care about you being able to participate in celebrations. It's a real gift. My mother-in-law always goes out of her way to make sure that I have food I can eat when I'm visiting. I always feel so loved.