Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Gluten-free New Year ~

I'm not a huge fan of making resolutions in the New Year, though I have been known in the past to put together "a list" of all my good intentions and hopes for the coming 365 days, however, this year I did make one resolution I'm determined to stick with - NO MORE GLUTEN POISONING!!

Need I say more...

Well yes. You see, I'm in the midst of starting off this New Year severely under the weather due to eating a substantial, and accidental amount of flour last Saturday night at a favorite Mexican restaurant that I've frequented over the last few years. Even after asking the appropriate questions and requesting the "plain mild green salsa"...there was a communication breakdown...and they used the salsa sauce WITH flour added to cut the spiciness.

Needless to say, I've never been so ill from consuming gluten. Sigh.

On a more uplifting note, "gluten-free" is becoming more and more prevalent in the mainstream news and I'm sure that 2009 will not be an exception to this new rule.

Here's some very interesting stories that I wanted to share with you all; one on NPR News that I found to cast a different light on "gluten" and the other was posted on my hometown news radio station, KCBS and reported on by food editor, Narsai David.

And finally, a story in the Chicago Tribune this week regarding Whole Foods pulling some of its GF products off the shelf.

So here's to a happy, healthy, gluten-free 2009!!

Happy New Year!

No comments: