Monday, July 21, 2008

Slowly Coming Back to Life ~ The Gluten Hangover



This delightful bowl you see above has become my new "best friend." It's an Italian remedy/recipe to use when one's stomach is causing them great grief and a bit too much time in the bathroom - I also call it, my gluten hangover recipe.

Since I haven't been able to consume much more than Brown Cow non-fat vanilla yogurt, a banana here and there, and rice, since consuming gluten on July 3rd, this recipe has come in handy and at least been tolerable by my poor stomach that's been SO compromised. The recipe may not sound that great, but it does seem to help and provides a bit of nutrients:

1/2 - 1 Cup of steamed Jasmine rice

1 Slice of organic, salted butter

1/2 Lemon - squeeze the entire lemon over the rice, including some of the pulp

1 Tbsp. of grated Parmigiana cheese

Salt to taste

The next time (though I wish this on no one!) you are suffering from the same gluten "side affects," give this little number a try.

Another little dish I created out of desperation to eat something with protein, was a similar type rice-bowl but with some added flavor and freshness.


1 Cup of steamed Jasmine rice

1 Slice of organic butter

1 Handful of cherry tomatoes

1 Handful of fresh Ciliegine Mozzarella

1 Tbsp. Drizzle Fig Balsamic Vinegar - to taste

Salt to taste

Mangia Mangia!

Thankfully, my severe brain-fog and exhaustion have semi-lifted and now I'm left with the challenge of being able to give my body some nutrition. The difficult part for me comes from dealing with a stomach that takes nearly a month to get back to normal...whatever "normal" really is for a Celiac. I'm not sure if others of you out there deal with this, but after I consume gluten, my poor stomach can be nauseous for weeks, so eating is quite a challenge.

I did manage to venture out from my house this past Saturday though, and headed to my local farmer's market where I picked up some delicious tomatoes (pictured above), some local honey, and a bottle of this yummy Fig Balsamic Vinegar that is starting to make me very happy. It's what I used to flavor the above recipe, but it can be used in so many different ways, and when I'm finally back to eating lettuce again, you can be sure I'll use this vinegar to create several dressings.


The line of balsamic vinegars is from a business in Napa, CA that has created some wonderful flavors of oil and vinegars that are all gluten-free, I am told. I called their headquarters to double-check! I think the bottles and packaging are also clever and look good sitting on your kitchen counter - ha!

In addition, I also managed to venture out to the Gluten-free tour that the Reno Whole Foods offered last Wednesday night. There was a good turn-out for the event, with nearly 20 Celiacs on-hand to learn all of what the store has to offer. Some of the products I am already using on a regular basis, but I did learn from the guide and from chatting with other Celiacs, of a Thai food line that's completely GF and everyone seemed to rave about them. The line is Thai Kitchen Products


I picked up my first bottle of their Pad Thai Sauce and as soon as I'm recovered, I'm chomping at the bit to try out this exciting product and create my own Thai dishes!

One other tid-bit that I would be remiss in not mentioning - in the middle of my gluten poisoning, I have received two acupuncture treatments from the amazing Dr. John Diamond. He's such a blessing. He tried to actually de-sensitize me via acupuncture to gluten, due to my body being so toxic. It's a work in progress, but I will say that the treatments definitely calmed down my adrenal system and at least "calmed" some of my symptoms.

Let me just say that if you happen to be a Celiac and live in Northern Nevada, this man should be on your support list of doctors.

Thanks Dr. Diamond!!

Well, that's all the energy I could muster up for this post but I do hope some of this information is helpful.

Be safe.

Be well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you have been feeling badly! I haven't had this happen to me yet since I changed my diet but this is definitely a lesson for me learn.

I am also bummed that I completely forgot about the WF - GF tour last week. I had it on more than one calendar and still forgot to get there. I wish they would do it again.

Did they pass out a handout of the gluten free foods they carry?

Anonymous said...

Uggghhhh!!!! I really need this!! I had a belguin waffle for lunch and I'm totally feeling it!!! it's nice to know other people have experienced gluten hangovers!